- Become a Puppy Petter
- Be a Puppy Raiser
- Get Involved in Fund Raising
From the time puppies are born and until about 8 weeks of age, we need volunteers to help socialize the puppies -- petting and holding the puppies. This helps with the human bonding process. Petters are needed only when new puppies are available.
Due to the importance of this early introduction to human contact volunteers MUST attend an orientation class prior to petting the puppies. We love and appreciate our volunteers, but there are no exceptions to attending the orientation.
If you would like to be a puppy petter, please contact us.
Every puppy starts out with basic training and socialization that you can provide. Puppies get their socialization by traveling with you to work, to the store, and to other public places.
Puppy Raisers Guidelines
The puppy must be the only young puppy (less than 12 months) in the household.
In addition, all puppy raisers must--
- Be 18 years or older.
- Provide the basic necessities: food, water, bowls, shelter, bed, veterinary care, toys, collar, leash, treats, and lots and lots of love and affection.
- Provide socialization: exposing the puppies to as many environments as possible such as grocery stores, pharmacies, medical offices, restaurants, shopping malls, and if possible, your place of employment take them to work.
- Participate in training: house training, attend training classes, and field trips.
- Return puppy upon request.
All puppy raisers must complete the foster parent application process. Please contact us for more information.
If you are accepted as a foster parent, we will contact you within two weeks, and again, when a puppy becomes available for training.
The Joys of Living Assistance Dogs is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. All costs involved with fostering a puppy are tax-deductible.
Host a Fund Raiser or Volunteer at a Fund Raiser
Fund raisers are essential to our organization. All money raised goes toward the care and training of our dogs, which helps to offset the cost of veterinary care, food, training equipment, and supplies.
All fundraising events must be approved by The Joys of Living Assistance Dogs. Please contact us to discuss your fundraising ideas.